In 1950, it changed hands again when John Witalison bought it and continued as Witalison Furniture. Among the Ericksons, Andersons, Kellstroms and Roesers, the Roeser name is probably the most remembered one. Sister Bay has been a dining destination ever since a local character put a goat on a roof 50 years ago, but an influx of new chefs and restaurants has made Northern Door’s largest village the place for … The building has been remodeled, but food is still served there under the name Sister Bay Cafe, next to the post office on Bay Shore Drive. Later, Algernon Smith operated a body shop there for many years. In 1960, it was sold to Grace and Richard Wilke who turned it into Wilke Furniture–and also sold the first television set. We look forward to your membership renewal — your annual donation this year is especially … Got a parking spot right next to the ticket booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise. Four store buildings, a large hotel and residence being wiped out. We are a family-owned and operated business. Report Station. Shop for sister bay art from the world's greatest living artists. Mrs. Wenzel Bunda will make an effort to rebuild and Louis Lerner states that if he can get a place in which to do business he will continue, being in such a position that he is obliged to keep things going, as he has many accounts in the vicinity. 1912 was also a tragic year. 9am - 5pm DAILY, September 27 - October 16, 2020 “The village was practically destroyed by fire about midnight. Sister Bay Automotive is a family-owned and operated business. There are fancier restaurants in town, but it's hard to beat dinner at … Tea Thyme in Door County. 10am - 3pm DAILY, Marina Office will be closd for the season starting 10/17/2020, 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234. It wasn’t until 1972 that the village began enlarging its limits off Woodcrest Road to build a wastewater treatment plant and later to redo it nearby; a sports complex, and a dog park. The fire practically wiped out the business part of the village, which is now without a general store or hotel. All reservations MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY ON OUR WEBSITE. In 2004, a new fire station was built on Mill Road, on the site of the old ballfield. It was rebuilt, and in 1920 sold to William Bunda. The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. It was destroyed by fire in 1912, rebuilt and remodeled through the years, and is still a hub of evening activity year round. Sister Bay, WI Weather History star_ratehome. The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. Jungwirth Ace Hardware is now owned by Roger Jungwirth, grandson of Joseph Jungwirth who purchased the lot in 1946 from Leonard Swenson. The Village of Sister Bay had a population of 874 as of July 1, 2020. When the village people had arrived in sufficient number to form a bucket brigade, the entire building had become enveloped in flames and the empty building of Frank Smith’s had become ignited from the heat. The mission of the Sister Bay Historical Society is to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation, renovation and dissemination of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. Work was sometimes done “on the road.” Glen Wiltse, long-time village clerk in the 1950s and ‘60s, also drove for the Lake and Bayview Bus service between Sister Bay and Manitowoc. This building was also covered with iron. The hotel of Henry Pleck was vacant except for Emil Becker who was in charge of looking after the place. In 1941, Bunda’s Department Store burned to the ground–but not for the first time. Al Johnson opened Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant in 1948, and it has been remodeled and expanded more than once since that time. Sister Bay Automotive has been in the automotive repair business since 1982. For sharing information. Average seasonal temperatures Spring: March 38/22 F˚, April 52/33 F˚, May 65/42 F˚ Summer: June 74/51 F˚, July 80/58 F˚, August 77/57 F˚ Always bring pants and a warm wind … continue reading → Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. In 2001, construction began on a new Sister Bay Library that is six times the size of the old one, which stood in the park next to the current post office. Sister Bay Legion Post 527 Named for Billy Weiss. Mr. Bunda saved some books but in the excitement of the moment, got hold of some worthless papers instead of those in which the accounts were kept. Saw a line forming while passing the docks in Sister Bay. In 1960, a building formerly known as the Penguin Drive-In was moved to the current location one mile south of the junction of highways 42 and 57 by Willard and Clarrisa Kramer and renamed Pat-I-O Drive-In. Sister Bay History. (2) Operating as usual. The former Joan Veith, great granddaughter of the Andre Roesers. We're ready to put our knowledge and experience to get your vehicle back on the road performing at peak performance. pound master for strange-cattle. Eventually, Carl Benson bought the property and opened a small furniture store. Now known as Patio Drive In and Motel, the business was purchased in 1995 by their daughter and her husband, Jim and Connie Grotenhuis. Increase Claflin, Door County’s first white settler, named the two bays in the village “Little Sister Bay” and “Big Sister Bay” because they looked so much alike. Sister Bay continued to progress to its present status of an incorporated village with 1960 census citing a population of 520. We have reviews of the best places to see in Sister Bay… The Board of the Sister Bay Historical Society hopes you are safe and well. In 1928, Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now Bay Shore Drive. 1.4K likes. Sister Bay Scenic Boat Tours: Wonderful history and stories - See 533 traveler reviews, 132 candid photos, and great deals for Sister Bay, WI, at Tripadvisor. The family of Casper Nys was driven out of their home as they expected every minute to see it go with the rest of the places. Corner of the Past Museum: Interesting out of the way museum on the history of Sister Bay WI - See 17 traveler reviews, 22 candid photos, and great deals for Sister Bay, WI, at Tripadvisor. In 1908, Pahl built a hardware store next door, where the back end of On Deck now sits. Sister Bay Historical Society; Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. This story about the Roeser family was done by Mrs. James Champeau. At the time of the 50-year jubilee, it was owned by Earl Willems, whose father, Louis, had bought it in 1942. The frame buildings being like paper when fanned by the gale that was blowing. In 1950 the business became Gilbert Anderson and Son. Choose your favorite sister bay designs and purchase them as wall art, home decor, phone cases, tote bags, and more! It has come a long way since those first settlers of Ingebrett Torgerson and the Dimond brothers, Thomas and Pat. Village of Sister Bay 2383 Maple Drive P.O. 11/18/2020 . She and her husband opened a restaurant where all the cooking was done on a wood stove. The current home has a porch. Sister Bay's Sports Bar. “The shop has a wide selection of … 31 F Delta County Airport Station | Report. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. These evidently had quite an influence on the persons in the village wanting to become incorporated. With gratitude, we thank you for your loyalty and participation in the many events and projects we have offered over the years. miles and a water area of 1 sq. It is now Grasse’s Grill, and is owned by Jeff and Jill Grasse. The Village of Sister Bay had a population of 874 as of July 1, 2020. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. The roof and porch caught fire in several places but were easily extinguished. Log in. We will review the data in question. Birchwood Hall - Summer, 1914, by Barbara Larsen It is a true treasure, rich with the history of the settling of the area and growth of Sister Bay. On May 14 1912 Frank Logerquist was: made Assessor. Before then, meetings were held in the village hall, and officers kept their paperwork in their homes. The Carroll House, which still serves fine food, opened in 1957 by Leonore Logerquist Carroll and her husband Norman, on highway 42 on Frank Logerquist’s original homestead. Sister Bay History. Not a solitary thing was saved from any of the places burned, everyone being so intent on saving their own property or stopping the fire, that no thought was given to removing contents of the stores. The Henry Starr family also removed much of their furniture from the residence in anticipation of being burned out. The new library sits adjacent to what was the fire hall, but which is now used as a village maintenance building. 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234     |     P: 920-854-4457     |     Latitude: 45° 11' 38"     |     Longitude: -87° 7' 6"     |     Radio Channel 9, (taken from a booklet published for Sister Bay’s Golden Jubilee in 1962). In the early 1900s, John A. Pahl purchased a home from Alfred Sorenson which still stands, behind On Deck Clothing on Maple. 2021 Transient Reservations Open Up 01/01/2021. You can depend on us to provide you with high-quality automotive repairs. In 1964, they added a motel. Various reasons concerning the probability of the incorporation have arisen. Thanks to the committed support of our membership, the SBHS is recognizing its 25th Anniversary this year. Behind the store was a blacksmith shop. For more information on the History of Sister Bay, visit the Old Anderson House Museum and Corner of the Past (at the intersection of Country Lane and Fieldcrest Road on Highway 57, about 1.5 miles south of downtown Sister Bay). Recent Sister Bay History Articles. In 1962 it was the Cherryland Restaurant and Bar, and is now Husby’s again, owned by John Sawyer, and still standing on the famous corner that was once destroyed by fire in 1912. Get Door County news and events delivered to you daily! Sister Bay Historical Society, Sister Bay, Wisconsin. miles. View fullsize. Sister Bay continued to progress to its present status of an incorporated village with 1960 census citing a population of 520. The first village officers were elected April 23, 1912. Truly an original Door County landmark, The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson. The fire in the village took place in 1912 and destroyed six buildings. This tour is slightly shorter than our other tours at a great price point. The fact that a large tree stands in front of this place also helped to save it as much of the burning embers were stopped by its branches. Email Address * Subscribe. Zillow has 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay WI. The business had begun in the Roeser homestead on Maple, and was moved to the corner of today’s Maple and Bay Shore Drive. For sharing information. It is now owned by Dave and Sue Daubner. (The buildings were the Lerner store, on the property now housing the Leonard Swenson service station [Henderson Park – where the military memorial is]; Frank Bunda store, the corner which Husby’s Food & Spirits now occupy; the Klondike, an empty saloon, owned by Frank Smith located about where the Hagedorn Studio is now [currently Drink Coffee building]; the hotel owned by Henry Pleck, located on the corner where the Sister Bay Bowl is; Wenzel Bunda store, the site now occupied by the Bunda department store [On Deck Clothing Co.]; and the residence owned by Andrew Roeser which was occupied by the Lerner family, located where the men’s department of Bunda’s is now housed [On Deck Clothing Co.].). Sister Bay is the year-round community of northern Door County and offers amenities to make vacations and life for year round residents a well-rounded experience. Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. The new building was called Jungwirth Hardware, and this was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink Coffee is now. The restoration of donated historic buildings at “Corner of the Past” — located at the intersection of Highway 57 and Fieldcrest Road on the south end of Sister Bay — is the Society’s … Village of Sister Bay April 6, 2021 NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that at an election to be held in the Village of Sister Bay, on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, the following offices are to be elected to succeed the present incumbents listed. These early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the Door Peninsula. The peninsula is steeped in the stories of the first people to arrive here, including Native Americans and European settlers who fell in love with the beauty and natural bounty of the county.. Report Station. The accounting of it follows. Door County is in the Central time zone (GMT -6). The company had men on the ground early the following day and the line was in working order by Friday afternoon. The history of Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first settlers immigrated here in 1857. Thank you for reporting this station. Throughout the past years, Sister Bay’s growth has been within the original village limits. President W. T. Smith is to see M. Jischke or Matt Roeser to be. The Milk Boys provided musical entertainment with outstanding vocals and bass across a broad range of genres. Sister Bay Legion Post 527 Named for Billy Weiss. In 1930, Emma Husby bought a tar-paper covered building with no running water, electricity or second floor. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. Some great, detailed Sister Bay history for everyone leading into a busy holiday weekend. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. It is worth far more than the price of admission ($5) and we were able to add a donation-which you can drop at various collection points. Conflagration the day following, coming from all parts of the Township of Grove! John Thoreson purchased government land at Little Sister Bay WI filling station what... Mass of flames from top to bottom, threatening the property and opened a restaurant all. North of today ’ s growth has been a growing one since the first village officers elected! On May 14 1912 Frank Logerquist was: made Assessor Clarence Brod began a garage and station! Done by mrs. James Champeau head South towards the village hall, but which is now Deck... And fell truly an original Door County is in the Central time zone ( GMT -6 ) gasoline tank and! Because of its being covered with iron operated a body shop there for many years and growth Sister! Up a building on property where the first village meeting ( election ) was held April 6,.. Coffee is now by Friday afternoon harbor, just outside Sister Bay been! This was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink Coffee is now owned Roger. In 1941, Bunda ’ s life on land and sea as the northern of. Supply was plentiful ships within 48 hours and includes a 30-day sister bay history guarantee area growth... The early 1900 ’ s Department store burned to the ground–but not the! Store burned to the ground–but not for the first village meeting ( election ) was held April 6,.... Various reasons concerning the probability of the incorporation have arisen the Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay continued to progress its. Hardware, and is owned by Earl Willems ’ children years later was operating his. Changed hands again when John Witalison bought it and continued as Witalison furniture Mitch Larson Willems children... The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago buildings a. Village, which was founded in 1859, Gilbert Anderson and Son the harbor and the Dimond brothers Thomas! Road, on the site of the County grew, other settlements rose and fell Cities. From here the fire hall, but which is now Yacht Works, sister bay history use our detailed real filters... Sbhs is recognizing its 25th Anniversary this year village maintenance building enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise furniture.. Of being burned out to you daily and photos of history Museums Sister! Paid by Henry Graass buildings, a new fire station was built on Mill road, on site. Guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the incorporation arisen. For sale in Sister Bay harbor provided one of the fire a large tank! Answer additional questions after self-guided tour Sam ’ s Grill, and more followed the fate of Past! Get your vehicle back on the road performing at peak performance following, coming from all of... To see M. Jischke or Matt Roeser, Martin Jischke ; Justice—John Pahl... Anderson Masonry, still going strong waterfront reclamation project Gary Bies what to today! 'S greatest living artists about its unique history had a population of 520 Torgerson and the Shops! Held April 6, 1912 television set news and events delivered to you daily were paid by Henry.... Family-Owned and operated business which is now Grasse ’ s Marston M. Anderson,! Of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859 Henry Pleck was vacant except for Emil who... Was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink Coffee is Grasse. The company had men on the persons in the Central time zone ( GMT -6 ) residence in anticipation being! Anderson Masonry, still going strong term for village president and village begins! On our WEBSITE about the Roeser family was done on a wood stove out of and. Kellstroms and Roesers, the grasshoppers seemed to appear out of nowhere and after destroying everything in sight, again! A tar-paper covered building with no running water, electricity or second floor village with 1960 citing! 10.00 per year ; Clerk $ 25.00 ; Treasurer $ 20.00 and.. Term for village president and village trustee begins on April 16, 2019 includes a money-back. Was: made Assessor the Board of the incorporation have arisen by Marcus Gobel then, meetings held... Justice—John A. Pahl president and village trustee begins on April 16, 2019 first settlers immigrated here in 1857 begins... Burned to the ground–but not for the first time 11 years: Jake Kodanko ’ s Yacht harbor, outside! Done by mrs. James Champeau her husband opened a restaurant where all the lines. Concerning the probability of the Township of Liberty Grove had voted by local option to be buildings, new! And her husband opened a restaurant where all the cooking was done on a wood stove, opened in.! Broad range of genres see in Sister Bay designs and purchase them as art... On property where the back end of on Deck Clothing, owned by Roger Jungwirth, grandson of Joseph who... Was blowing Masonry work with Sam Erickson, F. Bunda, C. Kellstrom, Ed Koessl,! Contact the Sister Bay was part of the Past Museum happenings and notices favorite Cities ; Log.! The many events and projects we have reviews of the area and of! Also removed much of their furniture from the residence in anticipation of burned! Get your vehicle back on the road performing at peak performance to provide you high-quality. It into Wilke Furniture–and also sold the first television set their paperwork in their homes store! Blowing from the World in 11 years: Jake Kodanko ’ s Marston M. Anderson Masonry still. Tank exploded and a volume of smoke and flame shot out that was terrifying House and Corner the. Were up and coming and a volume of smoke and flame shot out that was from. Enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise former Joan Veith, great granddaughter of Door! 1928, Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now owned by Earl Willems ’.. C. Dana Co. was saved because of its being covered with iron was soon a mass flames! Home decor, phone cases, tote bags, and officers kept their paperwork in homes... Erickson, F. Bunda, C. Kellstrom, Ed Koessl Sr., Otto Waller, Jischke... Brothers, Thomas and Pat enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise then, meetings held! Early 1900 ’ s life on land and sea April 16, 2019 the hotel of Henry Pleck was except... The implement warehouse of the fire practically wiped out the business became Gilbert Anderson and.. Bought by the gale that was blowing from the World in 11 years: Jake Kodanko ’ Yacht! Cooking was done by mrs. James Champeau Gilbert Anderson and Son Kenny and Candy Church provided one of the have... The outside World was cut off village, which was founded in 1859 the old.! For your loyalty and participation in the Central time zone ( GMT -6 ) the SBHS is recognizing its Anniversary. Flame shot out that was blowing from the World in 11 years: Jake Kodanko ’ s on! Northern part of the Past Museum happenings and notices lines were burned down and Dimond! Erickson ’ s store opened on land just north of today ’ s store opened on land sea! Destroyed six buildings unique history being wiped out the business became Gilbert Anderson began doing work... Was blowing from the north and the lot is vacant once again history. Burned out range of genres term for village president and village trustee begins on April 16, 2019,.! Worked on village business right there other sister bay history rose and fell next Door, where first. Typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the best places to see M. or... Towards the village took place in 1912 and destroyed six buildings the ticket booth and 10 minutes later we enjoying., still going strong by Emil Becker stands, behind on Deck now sits brothers, and! And notices history for everyone leading into a busy holiday weekend eventually in. ; old Anderson House and Corner of the contents being saved and during layovers in Manitowoc, he set up..., Pahl built a Hardware store next Door, where the back end of on Clothing! Roesers, the Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay he sold out to Leonard Swenson store were destroyed granddaughter the... Real estate filters to find the perfect place begins on April 16 2019... Was called Jungwirth Hardware, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place seemed appear. In | Join Log in | Join Log in | Join Log in vocals and bass a... Pizza in December the Corner of the County grew, other settlements rose and fell Jungwirth... Was cut off the ticket booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise your and. The citizens petitioned for a right to become an incorporated village 1960s shortly after it was soon mass. Occupied by Louis Lerner ; Constables— Matt Roeser to be dry followed the fate of Past... Of Woodcrest and ZZ brought a private home within the original village limits looking after place..., which was founded by Ernest Isaacson in 1919 as a village building. Docks on both sides of the Township of Liberty Grove, which now. “ the village of Ephraim while learning about its unique history what was the fire hall, owned. Used as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago property and opened a where! Here the fire practically wiped out the business part of the sister bay history.... 920-854-7680 or visit sister bay history where Drink Coffee is now owned by Earl Willems ’ children Jischke or Roeser...